When: December 1st 6:00pm to 7:30pm
Where: Chattanooga Public Library (4th Floor Downtown)
Speaker: Kenny Hall
What: A Wild Kenny Appears( My Story of Becoming a Developer ).
Link to slides: A Wild Kenny Appears! ( The slides have changed since when I gave the talk )
- Resources I used when I started learning
- Code Academy
- This is where I started my learning. It’s a great free resource to see if coding interests you.
- Another great place for beginners.
- Their videos go into more depth than Code Academy, but it is a paid service I think the standard tier is around $30 a month.
- WordPress.org Support Forums
- A great place to learn by helping others.
- Code Academy
- Learning how to ask questions
- Exhaust all your other resources before asking a questions.
- Use your words.
- Try to ask clear, well worded questions.
- If you have multiple questions, try to only tackle one of them at a time. ( This may not be the case for everyone, but for me this is my learning style. )
- After you have been helped, make sure you clearly understand the solution before moving on.
- Help others along the way
- Try to find time to give back as you learn. Whether it’s through answering questions on support forums, teaching others what you have learnt, or speaking at a meetup.
- Bonus Round!!
- I was once told I needed to keep my resume updated before I started working with the WP Ninjas. So that is just what I have done below. This wasn’t mentioned in the talk, but I thought it would be something fun for the site.
- Also if you would like to keep up with my zany journey as a developer. You can follow my blog at the link below. I’ve linked to a recent article where I talk a bit more about my journey as a dev.